Woman thought she would be killed when machete-wielding robber confronted her in Avondale
CHICAGO (CBS) — Police imagine the identical particular person is accountable for at the very least eight armed robberies involving a machete in Northwest Side neighborhoods.
The assaults have occurred in Irving Park, Avondale, and Logan Square.
CBS 2’s Charlie De Mar spoke solely to 1 lady – who stated she thought she was going to die when she noticed the scale of the machete pulled on her. She complied with the robber’s calls for and wasn’t harm – however the randomness of the assaults is regarding for these on the Northwest Side.
Maria Mayancena pointed to the spot on a sleepy Avondale block the place she was robbed whereas strolling alone Friday evening.
“Maybe here, a very large machete,” she stated.
A automobile pulled up round 9 p.m., and a person received out and pulled a big machete on her. She continues to be shaken.
“I don’t know,” Mayancena stated.
Mayancena handed over her belongings. The man received again in the passenger seat of a automobile, they usually drove away.
In Spanish, Mayancena stated: “I thought he was going to kill me with the machete. I didn’t want him to do anything to me. I let him take the money. I let him take the bag. ”
The most up-to-date assault occurred on Sunday evening, when a 52-year-old man was strolling alone close to Troy and Grace streets in Irving Park with a pizza when a machete was swung at him – inflicting him to fall. Police say the attacker additionally jumped out of a ready automobile.
The man’s pockets and the pizza had been stolen. CBS 2’s Tara Molina spoke to the sufferer’s girlfriend.
“He came with the machete,” the sufferer’s girlfriend stated. He advised him, he advised him give me your money.”
The incident instances and places are as follows:
· 3000 block of North Christiana Avenue on Friday, May 27 at 7:58 p.m. The machete-wielding attacker approached a 34-year-old man and demanded the sufferer’s property. The sufferer handed it over, and the attacker left in a grey sedan.
· 3200 block of North Monticello Avenue on Monday, May 30 at 11:45 p.m. A 19-year-old man was strolling on the sidewalk when the person with the machete got here up and demanded his property. The sufferer complied, and the attacker left in a silver/grey sedan.
· 4100 block of West Fletcher Street between Monday, May 30 at 11:45 p.m. and Tuesday, May 31 at 12:10 a.m. A 47-year-old man was strolling on the sidewalk when the attacker got here up and demanded his property whereas brandishing a machete. The sufferer complied, and the attacker fled in the silver/grey sedan.
· 3300 block of North Monticello Avenue on Friday, June 3 at 9 p.m. A girl was strolling dwelling when the person approached her, brandishing the machete as he demanded her property. The sufferer complied, however the attacker then pushed the sufferer and fled again into the passenger facet of the car in which he’d arrived.
· 4000 block of West Eddy Street on Friday, June 3 between 9 p.m. and 9:15 p.m. Two ladies, ages 22 and 56, had been approached by the machete-wielding offender. He demanded each their property they usually complied. He fled in the silver/grey sedan.
· 3000 block of Christina Avenue on Saturday, June 4 round 8:20 p.m. A 44-year-old lady was strolling when a person got here up from behind and received the sufferer’s consideration by talking. The man ordered the sufferer handy over her property, and she complied.
· 4100 block of West Wellington Avenue on Saturday, June 4 simply earlier than 9 p.m. A 28-year-old lady was crossing the road with a 7-month-old child boy when a silver sedan nearly hit her. The driver apologized and saved going. The lady and the child then went into the alley, at which period the silver sedan reversed the car to enter the alley. The driver then waved a pointy object, demanded the sufferer’s property, and received again in the automobile and left.
· 3700 block of North Troy Street on Sunday, June 5, round 9 p.m. This was the incident in which the 52-year-old man had the machete swung at him whereas carrying a pizza.
Avondale resident Lisa Russell, who did not wish to present her face, says she’s seen the person for whom police are trying.
“I have seen him walking up to a front door and knocking on the door and nobody answered it,” Russell stated. “I used to walk to the grocery store, walk to the dollar store. Now I won’t do it. ”
As for Mayancena, she has this message for her attacker.
“Stop doing what you are doing,” she stated in Spanish. “We aren’t harming anyone. We don’t want any more tragedies to happen. We are out and about and feel scared.”
Police say they’ve devoted extra resources to the Northwest Side and are centered on making an arrest. No severe accidents have been reported in any of the robberies.