Miami

Warning for shellfish lovers after man dies of bacterial infection due to eating raw oysters at Dania Beach restaurant

DANIA BEACH – Known the world over for its seafood, the Rustic Inn in Dania Beach is making headlines for all of the improper causes.

In July, the supervisor confirmed a buyer obtained sick and died from eating a raw oyster that was contaminated with the micro organism often called vibrio vulnificus.

“Vibrio vulnificus is seen in shellfish harvested from salty or brackish water,” says Dr Ade Bamgboye, an inner medication specialist with HCA Florida Northwest Hospital.

He says most individuals can struggle off the infection, however it may be lethal when you have underlying circumstances, particularly a suppressed immune system.

“Things like cancer with chemotherapy treatment, HIV, diabetes,” he stated.

The restaurant does have indicators within the constructing and on menus warning diners that eating raw shellfish could enhance your threat of foodborne sickness.

The supervisor says he believes the unhealthy oyster got here from Louisiana.

State businesses are investigating.

The restaurant had an inspection in late July and handed. 

The supervisor says the identification tags from the oysters had been taken by state regulators.

Last week, one other Florida man in Pensacola died from eating raw oysters.

Dr. Bamgboye says as a rule of thumb it is higher to get your shellfish cooked to keep away from any sickness.

Back to top button