Tips to keep your family and home safe during hurricane season
FPL STORM TIPS
Keep your family and home safe during hurricane season
At FPL, security is the cornerstone of our dedication to clients and staff. Thirty years after the season that introduced the unprecedented devastation of Hurricane Andrew and 5 after the destruction brought on by Hurricane Irma, it’s extra essential than ever to proactively plan for the upcoming hurricane season. FPL urges Floridians to be ready and concentrate on potential security hazards always, particularly earlier than, during and after extreme climate.
Below are ideas to enable you and your family keep safe during hurricane season.
Before a storm threatens
- Develop your emergency plan now and overview it with your family.
- Photograph or file your home – inside and out – for insurance coverage functions.
- Determine your backup energy supply or make preparations to relocate if a storm warning is issued and somebody in your home relies on electric-powered, life-sustaining medical gear.
- Clear tree and vegetation particles rapidly – trash pickup will probably be suspended when a hurricane warning is issued. Visit our web site for extra data on our tree trimming insurance policies.
- DO NOT try to trim any vegetation rising on or close to any overhead energy traces. Only hire certified professionals to trim bushes and different vegetation close to energy traces.
Preparing for an approaching storm
- Turn off and unplug any pointless electrical gear.
- Turn off all swimming pool pumps and filters and wrap them in waterproof supplies.
- Set your fridge and freezer to their coldest settings forward of time to keep meals contemporary longer within the occasion of an influence outage.
- Look up and be aware the placement of energy traces earlier than you start engaged on a ladder. Be certain that ladders or scaffolds are far sufficient away so that you simply – and the ends of the instruments you are utilizing – do not come inside 10 ft of energy traces.
- Make certain to flip off and unplug your TV earlier than decreasing a TV antenna or satellite tv for pc dish and keep away from energy traces.
- Gather essential paperwork, together with insurance coverage insurance policies, well being playing cards, beginning certificates, Social Security playing cards, checklist of essential telephone numbers and drugs, and a duplicate of your FPL invoice – storing them in a water-proof container.
- Bookmark FPL.com/outage and save 1-800-4-OUTAGE (1-800-468-8243) to your cellular phone to report and test the standing of your restoration.
- Contact your native emergency administration office when you or anybody you already know has particular wants, in case of evacuations.
- Prepare to be self-sufficient for an prolonged time frame, in accordance to emergency operations officers. Stock up on non-perishable meals, additional batteries, drugs, child provides and pet meals
- Purchase bottled water. The American Red Cross recommends one gallon of water per particular person per day for up to 14 days.
- Keep a battery-operated radio with you and a two-week provide of contemporary batteries.
- Check your emergency gear, similar to flashlights, battery-operated radios, extension cords, cell telephones and chargers, and emergency mills.
- Charge your cellular phone and keep it prepared by acquiring transportable chargers.
- Install an authorized hurricane shutter system over home windows and doorways or have alternate coverings similar to plywood.
- Secure and put together your home by storing exterior objects inside, fasten doorways and home windows, cover valuables and furnishings with plastic and transfer away from home windows.
For extra storm and security ideas, go to us at FPL.com/storm.
Article supplied by Florida Power & Light