San Diego

SWAT in standoff with armed man in Mountain View

Officers had initially responded to a radio name in the 4500 block of T Street at about 8:30 a.m. Sunday with stories {that a} man had fired a gun.

SAN DIEGO — A gunman who triggered a shelter-in-place order Sunday morning after firing at police was taken into custody Monday afternoon after barricading himself in a Mountain View house. The standoff lasted practically 30 hours after the preliminary name got here in over the weekend.

A SWAT crew and police negotiators had been on the house since early Sunday morning and in a single day into Monday afternoon making an attempt to speak the armed man out of the house after he allegedly fired a gun at a home.

Officers responded to a radio name in the 4500 block of T Street at about 8:30 a.m. Sunday, when a number of 911 callers reported {that a} neighbor, 68-year-old Reginald Smith, allegedly had fired a shot whereas waving a pistol round and threatening to kill them, in response to the San Diego Police Department. 

Initial stories mentioned the suspect pointed a gun at a neighbor and threatened to kill the individual, the lieutenant mentioned.

“Officers responded and tried to get the man to come outside,” Sharki mentioned. “He refused. Emergency negotiators and the SWAT team were called. The situation is active and ongoing.”

At round 4:45 p.m. on Sunday, Smith shot at the least one spherical at officers, Sharki confirmed to CBS 8. San Diego Police then requested neighbors in the world to shelter in place.

Esther Rendon lives only a few steps away from the place all of it occurred and says she’s relieved it ended with nobody being damage saying, “My daughter and I got together, we said a prayer hoping that everyone made it out safe. Every time there was a loud bang or multiple or rounds fired, I always was checking on her, like ‘are you okay?’ My father is elderly, he lives with me as well. Just making sure everybody was ok.”

Smith isn’t any stranger to regulation enforcement. Sources on the courthouse inform us Smith has a number of restraining orders in opposition to him. We uncovered one restraining order filed simply weeks in the past from a neighbor who claimed Smith had harassed him on a number of events and feared that if police didn’t intervene, it may result in violence.

Other neighbors informed CBS 8 that Smith has lived in the world for a number of many years and was pleasant and useful for a few years, however all of that modified a couple of years in the past when he spouse was recognized with a terminal sickness and the stress drastically affected Smith’s psychological well being. 

They say issues went from dangerous to worse after she handed away. “It just got hard for him,” mentioned neighbor Genel Wynn. “She was his rock. He was always going places with her. They always traveled and did everything together.”

Neighbors additionally say that police have visited Smith’s house a number of occasions over the previous year they usually’re glad he was taken into custody with none critical accidents. 

Neighbors cheered and thanked police after Smith was taken away from the scene.

WATCH RELATED: SWAT in standoff with armed man who allegedly threatened neighbor

Back to top button