Brooklyn

‘Our legacy’: Community comes together for St. Ephrem’s 100th anniversary mass

Members of the Dyker Heights neighborhood and past got here together over the weekend to formally mark the 100th anniversary of St. Ephrem Roman Catholic Church — and pay tribute to its lasting influence on the neighborhood.

Parisioners, alumni, college and extra gathered first within the church for a particular Sunday mass, adopted by a dinner dance on the El Caribe.

“It is with great joy that we gather as a parish family to mark this milestone, of our 100th anniversary. We are grateful to God on this happy occasion, and we celebrate our centennial [and] our presence in the community for the past 100 years,” stated Father Robert Adamo, pastor of St. Ephrem. “As we reflect on our church, our prayer, and our legacy, our hearts are filled with gratitude.”

In a press release to Brooklyn Paper, the mass’ predominant celebrant, Brooklyn Bishop Robert Brennan, stated he was “grateful” to hitch in on the Oct. 23 celebration, which coincided with World Mission Sunday.

“I was grateful to join with the faithful of St. Ephrem’s in celebrating the closing Mass of their 100th Anniversary,” the bishop stated. “God has and continues to send the people of this church, much like its parish patron Saint Ephrem, to bring the joy of the Gospel into the communities of Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, and wherever they go.”

Faith leaders from St. Ephrem and the Brooklyn Diocese mark the parish’s centennial anniversary.Barbara Vellucci

“On what was World Mission Sunday, we offered praise to God for the vocations that have come from this parish,” he went on. “St. Ephrem’s Church and School have truly played a central role in building the Catholic Church for generations.”

Josephine Beckmann, district supervisor of native Community Board 10, referred to as Sunday’s celebration a “wonderful” nod to St. Ephrem’s lasting legacy.

“It was a wonderful day to see parishioners and neighbors from the past and present,” she stated. “All around a great day.”

St. Ephrem Parish was based in 1921, and has since educated tens of 1000’s of scholars, hosted quite a few social and neighborhood occasions and took part in meals donations, clothes drives and different charitable causes. Its Catholic Academy at present serves college students from pre-Ok via eighth grade.

Earlier this year, the intersection of Bay Ridge Parkway and Fort Hamilton Parkway was co-named St. Ephrem’s Way on Sunday, May 22, to commemorate the church and Catholic academy’s centennial anniversary.

people with st ephram's street sign after conaming
Local leaders and elected officers gathered outdoors of St. Ephrem Parish on May 22 for the revealing of “St. Ephrem’s Way” — a avenue co-naming meant to mark the church and college’s 100th anniversary.Photo by Arthur de Gaeta

Sunday’s mass was held in the exact same church used for day by day worship again when companies first began on Feb. 1, 1953.

“Each time we gaze at our beautiful church, may we recall the words of St. Ephrem: ‘Prayer draws into the soul the Holy Spirit, and raise us to Heaven,’” Father Adamo stated.

Back to top button