San Diego

Mountain View standoff suspect due in court

Reginald Carl Smith triggered a shelter-in-place order after firing at police and was taken into custody Monday afternoon.

SAN DIEGO COUNTY, Calif. — An arraignment is scheduled Wednesday for Reginald Carl Smith, who’s accused of barricading himself in a Mountain View dwelling in a virtually 30-hour standoff and firing a gun at officers.

Smith triggered a shelter-in-place order after firing at police and was taken into custody Monday afternoon. He’s being charged with tried homicide.

On Sunday, officers responded to a radio name in the 4500 block of T Street at about 8:30 a.m., when a number of 911 callers reported {that a} neighbor, the 68-year-old, allegedly had fired a shot whereas waving a pistol round and threatening to kill them, in accordance with the San Diego Police Department.

A SWAT workforce and police negotiators have been on the dwelling from early Sunday morning and in a single day into Monday afternoon making an attempt to speak Smith out of the house after he allegedly fired a gun at a home. Initial reviews mentioned Smith pointed a gun at a neighbor and threatened to kill the particular person, the lieutenant mentioned.

“Officers responded and tried to get the man to come outside,” Sharki mentioned. “He refused. Emergency negotiators and the SWAT team were called. The situation is active and ongoing.”

At round 4:45 p.m. on Sunday, Smith shot at the very least one spherical at officers, Sharki confirmed to CBS 8. San Diego Police then requested neighbors in the world to shelter in place.

Smith isn’t any stranger to legislation enforcement. Sources on the courthouse inform us Smith has a number of restraining orders towards him. We uncovered one restraining order filed simply weeks in the past from a neighbor who claimed Smith had harassed him on a number of events and feared that if police did not intervene, it may result in violence.

Other neighbors advised CBS 8 that Smith has lived in the world for a number of a long time and was pleasant and useful for a few years, however all of that modified just a few years in the past when he spouse was recognized with a terminal sickness and the stress vastly affected Smith’s psychological well being.

They say issues went from unhealthy to worse after she handed away. “It just got hard for him,” mentioned neighbor Genel Wynn. “She was his rock. He was always going places with her. They always traveled and did everything together.”

Neighbors additionally say that police have visited Smith’s dwelling a number of instances over the previous year and so they’re glad he was taken into custody with none severe accidents.

WATCH RELATED: SWAT standoff in Mountain View neighborhood ends after practically 30 hours, suspect in custody (August 22, 2022)

Back to top button