New York

Investigators looking into what went wrong in subway death of Marcus Bryant

NEW YORK — A freak subway accident left a Brooklyn man useless, and investigators are nonetheless determining precisely what went wrong. 

Lit candles outdoors Marcus Bryant’s residence symbolize the reminiscences of the 37-year-old will reside on. About a mile away on the Avenue M subway station in Midwood, leftover pink warning tape serves as a extra somber reminder of what occurred to him. 

“I am shocked and amazed that such a thing could happen, and I feel very bad for the family,” Harlem resident Roger Harris instructed CBS2. 

Transit officers say Bryant died in a freak accident simply earlier than midnight Wednesday when he was getting off the Q practice and bought caught between the practice and the platform. 

They say he could not break away in time and was then dragged, because the practice continued out of the station. He fell onto the tracks and was hit by a second practice pulling in.

“Unclear what the exact cause of death was, the first or second train,” mentioned New York City Transit President Richard Davey. 

Davey says he doesn’t assume it was a door incident, and officers at the moment are centered on determining whether or not correct protocols had been adopted. 

“A conductor should have his or her head out the window when the doors close and be looking to the left and to the right for approximately 75 feet,” mentioned Davey. “That’s our normal protocol.”

The NYPD says 89 individuals have been struck by trains in New York City up to now this year. That’s up from 53 individuals this time final year. 

However, ridership can also be up because the peak of COVID. Many commuters say they’re uneasy after Wednesday’s incident. 

“People must pay attention, very attention,” one commuter mentioned.

“This whole New York City transit system, it’s a literal nightmare, it’s a death trap,” mentioned Crown Heights resident Kim Watson.

Police say safety cameras had been working on the station and authorities are reviewing the tapes. 

Both practice crews concerned have been taken off responsibility whereas the MTA investigates. 

Back to top button