U.S. News

Florida man who died after eating raw oysters had drugs in system

A south Florida man who died after eating raw oysters final month had a number of drugs in his system, together with fentanyl and cocaine, in accordance with a medical health worker’s report.

Roger “Rocky” Pinckney additionally examined constructive for hashish, oxycodone, and opiates after his demise on July 31, in accordance with the Broward County Medical Examiner, WTVJ reported.

Along with the detection of the drugs, Pinckney’s blood examined constructive for vibrio vulnificus, a micro organism discovered in heat seawater that may trigger sickness, the report stated.

Roger
Roger “Rocky” Pinckley was the second man in the state to die from vibrio vulnificus in weeks.
Facebook/Rocky PInckney
A Florida man who died after eating raw oysters had fentanyl, cocaine in his system at the time of his death.
The Florida man was celebrating his birthday at Rustic Inn Crabhouse in Fort Lauderdale.
TNS

The 44-year-old was out celebrating his birthday on July 23 on the Rustic Inn Crabhouse in Fort Lauderdale, the place he had labored a number of years in the past. He was later hospitalized with a fever and belly pains after eating oysters on the standard eatery.

The supervisor of the restaurant advised the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported that as many as 100 dozen oysters have been served the day Pinckney dined on the institution.

“He had that one in a billion that was bad,” Gary Oreal reportedly stated. “I feel horrible.”

An lawyer representing Pinckney’s household, Brandon Cathy, advised The Post Thursday he had not but reviewed the health worker’s report.

He denied, nevertheless, that the restaurant had handed the Florida Department of Health inspection of the restaurant’s kitchen with “flying colors” — as Oreal had advised native reporters. The inspection had taken place every week after Pinckney had eaten there, Cathy stated.

“We don’t know what the conditions were on the day [Pinckney ate there], but it’s not a good sign,” he stated.

Cathy stated the Food and Drug Administration has tried to handle the sale of summertime oysters from the Gulf of Mexico as a result of they understand how lethal vibrio vulnificus could be, however their efforts have been thwarted by the oyster foyer.

“It’s sort of like on a historic level, like one of the more evil things that’s going on in the country,” he stated. “I’ve got an interest in the sale of these raw oysters in the summer at this point.”

Cathy beforehand represented a Florida couple who was awarded $6.7 million in 2018 after a restaurant served them oysters that triggered meals poisoning and led to a uncommon dysfunction for considered one of them that might have ended in paralysis.

The lawyer stated he has not but taken any authorized motion in Pinckney’s case as they await a member of the family to be appointed consultant of his property.

Oysters served on a plate at restaurant
The restaurant supervisor claims almost 100 dozen oysters have been served the day Pinckney dined on the institution.
Getty Images

Pinckney is the second particular person in Florida to die from vibrio vulnificus this summer season.

Rodney Jackson, a business director on the Studer Community Institute in Pensacola, died on Aug. 9 after he grew to become in poor health after eating oysters he’d bought at Maria’s Fresh Seafood Market, The Pensacola News Journal reported.

Both circumstances reportedly concerned oysters sourced from Louisiana.

The Centers for Control Disease and Prevention warns on its web site that whereas most Vibriosis circumstances happen in hotter climate, circumstances have been reported all through the year.

“An oyster that contains harmful bacteria doesn’t look, smell, or even taste different from any other oyster,” the CDC says.

The company stated about 80,000 individuals nationwide get contaminated with vibrio each year with 100 of them dying from the an infection. Most infections solely end result in diarrhea and vomiting, in accordance with the company.

Back to top button