San Diego

Family says Padres and city of San Diego could have prevented death of their daughter and her 2 year old son

(*2*)

Raquel Wilkins was holding her two-year-old son after they went over the railing and fell to their deaths

SAN DIEGO — The mother and father of a lady who was holding her two-year-old son after they fell greater than 80 toes from a Petco Park meals court docket and died throughout a Padres sport final year says the city and the Padres did not do sufficient to stop it from occurring. 

In a newly filed lawsuit, the household of Raquel Wilkins and two-year-old Denzel Browning-Wilkins say their deaths could have been prevented if the city and Padres had satisfactory railings and extra safety on the meals court docket.

The deaths occurred throughout a day sport on September 25, 2021. That day witnesses say they noticed 40-year-old Wilkins stand on prime of a picnic desk on an upper-level concourse at Petco Park. 

Moments later she and her son had been seen falling 80-plus toes to their death.

Police, along with the San Diego County Medical Examiner, categorized Wilkins’s death as a suicide and her younger son’s death as a murder.

However, attorneys for Wilkins’s mother and father, Darleen Clough and Donald Wilkins, say regardless of the classification is, the realm isn’t protected and the city and the Padres had been negligent in failing to make sure public security.

The first subject, claims the lawsuit, is that the “railing was too low to protect patrons” from falling and the close by benches and tables weren’t bolted to the bottom, permitting patrons to maneuver them near the stadium’s edge.

Attorneys for the mother and father additionally stated there was not sufficient safety to ensure that patrons had been protected and didn’t pose a danger to themselves or others. 

“[The City and the Padres] were negligent regarding its onsite security and personnel for failing to protect decedents from the dangerous table and railing configuration and for failing to adequately maintain proper surveillance, supervision, and monitoring of the premises,” reads the December 7 lawsuit.

CBS 8 reached out to the San Diego City Attorney’s Office and the Padres however didn’t hear again in time for publication. The story might be up to date when a response is supplied. 

Back to top button