MIAMI – The US Coast Guard intercepted a big vessel carrying dozens of migrants Saturday off Key Largo.
Reports from the scene stated some of the migrants had jumped off the boat and have been seen swimming towards shore.
, two folks died and 5 have been lacking after a ship believed to be carrying migrants capsized 14 miles south of Sugarloaf Key.
“Our search continues for others that may have survived this tragic incident,” stated Rear Adm. Brendan McPherson, commander of the Seventh Coast Guard District. “This situation highlights the risks these migrants face as they attempt to enter the United States illegally by sea.”
Since Oct. 1, 2021, Coast Guard crews interdicted 3,739 Cubans in comparison with:
- 5,396 Cuban Migrants in Fiscal Year 2016
- 1,468 Cuban Migrants in Fiscal Year 2017
- 259 Cuban Migrants in Fiscal Year 2018
- 313 Cuban Migrants in Fiscal Year 2019
- 49 Cuban Migrants in Fiscal Year 2020
- 838 Cuban Migrants in Fiscal Year 2021
Earlier within the day, officers stated that they had repatriated 56 Cubans to the island nation.