CHICAGO (CBS) — Chicago firefighters are responding to an explosion in a building in the South Austin neighborhood.
A Chicago Fire Department spokesperson confirmed there was an explosion Tuesday morning in a four-story apartment building at 5601 W. West End Ave.
A complete of 10 ambulances have been despatched to the scene, and at least six individuals have been transported to hospitals. Two males had been taken to Loyola University Medical Center, two males and a feminine had been taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, a feminine was taken to West Suburban Medical Center. Fire Department officers stated three of the victims had been in severe to vital situation. The different accidents weren’t as extreme.
Chicago Fire Department video posted on Twitter exhibits a considerable amount of particles on the road outdoors the building.
CBS 2’s Kris Habermehl stories, based mostly on the best way the particles fanned out across the building, it is probably the explosion was the results of a pure fuel leak.
One neighbor, Shannon Nelson, stated she lives throughout the road, and was mendacity in mattress when she heard the explosion.
“My bed shook almost like an earthquake,” Nelson stated.
Nelson stated, when she went outdoors, she may odor pure fuel in the air.
The explosion occurred on the highest ground of the building on the japanese facet of the structure, sending a considerable amount of bricks and different particles into the road, damaging at least three automobiles parked alongside the curb.
The roof of at least one unit in the building collapsed on account of the explosion, and several other home windows in the building additionally had been blown out.
In an announcement, Mayor Lori Lightfoot stated her ideas are with the individuals who had been injured and displaced by the explosion.
“We must also thank the brave men and women of the Chicago Fire Department who are working to abate the dangerous conditions,” she stated.
The Chicago Department of Buildings additionally has responded to the scene.
Building inspection information present the building has failed its final 12 inspections since 2010, together with citations in January 2017 and February 2018 for “failing to repair or replace defective or out of service smoke detectors and operate continuously.”
In an announcement, building proprietor Roman Viere stated the explosion occurred at roughly 9 a.m.
“This is a devastating event and we are heartbroken for all of our residents,” Viere stated. “Our first concern is the health, well-being and safety of our residents. We are doing everything we can to cooperate with emergency services, and we are ready to do whatever we can to support our residents.”
According to the Fire Department, each the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the Chicago Police Department Bomb Unit had been on the scene to help with the response and investigation.