BUFFALO, N.Y. (*5*)– The metropolis of Buffalo is mourning after.
Here are 5 things we know:
- The shooting happened round 2:30 p.m. Saturday at a Tops Friendly Markets grocery store on Jefferson Avenue in Buffalo. The grocery store is in a predominately Black neighborhood, a number of miles from downtown Buffalo. The surrounding space is primarily residential, with a Family Dollar retailer and fireplace station close to the retailer.
- A complete of 13 folks had been shot. Ten victims died at the scene, and three victims sustained accidents that aren’t believed to be life-threatening. Four of the shooting victims had been retailer staff, together with a retired Buffalo police officer who was employed as a safety guard. The remainder of the victims had been clients. Eleven of the victims are African American and two are white.
- The suspect, a white male, was taken into custody at the scene of the shooting. He has been recognized as 18-year-old Payton S. Gendron, of Conklin, New York. Officials say Gendron traveled for “hours” to hold out the assault. Gendron has been arraigned on one depend of homicide and was remanded with out bail.
- Gendron was allegedly closely armed and sporting physique armor and tactical gear, together with a helmet with a digital camera that he used to live-stream the shooting. In a press release, the streaming platform Twitch mentioned partially, “Twitch has a zero-tolerance policy against violence of any kind and works swiftly to respond to all incidents. The user has been indefinitely suspended from our service, and we are taking all appropriate action, including monitoring for any accounts rebroadcasting this content.”
- The FBI is investigating the shooting as a hate crime and radically motivated violent extremism. At a press convention Saturday night, Gov. Kathy Hochul referred to as the suspect “a white supremacist who has engaged in an act of terrorism and will be prosecuted as such.”