Chicago

3 young brothers who died in West Humboldt Park fire are mourned

Community members gathered Wednesday night to mourn the dying of brothers who perished throughout a blaze earlier this week in the West Humboldt Park neighborhood.

The fire broke out early Sunday in the basement of a two-story brick two-flat in the 4000 block of West Potomac Street.

Five-year-old Aiden Cruz was pronounced useless upon arrival on the hospital early Sunday morning whereas his brothers, 6-year-old Jayden Cruz and 11-year-old Angel Rodriguez, died on the hospital in the next days, based on data from the Cook County medical expert’s office.

The fourth and youngest brother, Axel Cruz, 4, died Wednesday at 6:42 p.m. at Lurie Children’s Hospital, based on the medical expert’s office. Previously, a GoFundMe page created to support the family mentioned all 4 boys had died, and 4 crosses had been laid out on the vigil on Wednesday evening.

The fire began in the again bed room of the basement condominium, which solely had one exit, based on a spokesperson on the Chicago Fire Department.

The vigil was held on the Children’s Garden of Hope, close to the scene of the blaze, the place the three youngest boys typically performed.

“This is something that touched the whole community,” mentioned Venus Jackson, program coordinator at Nobel Neighbors.

Day care academics and staffers who cared for the youngsters hugged each other and cried as they positioned flowers round one white cross leaning towards a tree. Behind the tree, three different white crosses leaned towards a fence, the place group members wrote on them in marker largely in Spanish, “Descansa en Paz” or “Rest in Peace” amongst different notes with the boys’ names, Axel, Aiden, Jayden and Angel.

Two girls lit tall, slim spiritual candles whereas flowers — together with a bouquet of purple roses and single white roses — and stuffed animals together with a Spider Man, a bear and a pet had been positioned on a tree and the bottom surrounding a cross.

Staffers, most sporting blue shirts, had been from Smart From the Start day care and preschool the place the 2 youngest boys attended, they mentioned.

They steadily teared up throughout the vigil, holding each other shut.

Larry Walker, 36, lives close by and had simply gotten residence from work late Saturday when he heard screaming, he mentioned. Walker hustled exterior, alongside together with his sister and mother, to see what was occurring.

He bumped into the boys’ mother, who advised him, “The house is on fire. My kids are in there,” Walker mentioned.

Walker requested how he may get in to save lots of them and he or she mentioned: “You can’t get in, you can’t get in,’” Walker mentioned.

“I busted the window, I got in, I burned my arm, and I grabbed one of the kids. I grabbed the 4-year-old.”

Walker pointed to a burn mark on his forearm. He mentioned the smoke in the basement condominium was intense.

(*3*)

“I didn’t know what to do, I just did it,” a somber Walker defined, including that he needs he may have performed extra to save lots of the youngsters.

According to Maura Madden, who runs the Children’s Garden of Hope, the brothers had been survived by an older sister and their mom, who was additionally hospitalized after the fire.

“They were digging for spiders and making mud pies all day (Saturday),” mentioned Madden of the final time she noticed the boys. “They were happy, beautiful little kids, she said.”

City Department of Buildings spokesperson Michael Puccinelli mentioned that each Chicago constructing code and the worldwide constructing code each permit for one exit relying on the dimensions of the condominium.

In a written assertion launched Tuesday, the town’s division of buildings mentioned: “Our thoughts are with their family and loved ones.”

The division moreover said the property had no current service calls or violations, and that the basement condominium was included on the Cook County property data.

Public data present a failed plumbing criticism inspection on May 10, 2011. Authorities are nonetheless investigating the reason for the fire, however confirmed that smoke detectors had been heard that evening.

Afternoon Briefing

Afternoon Briefing

Daily

Chicago Tribune editors’ prime story picks, delivered to your inbox every afternoon.

Back to top button