FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — A restaurant buyer in Fort Lauderdale has died of a bacterial an infection after consuming raw oysters. A Pensacola man died the identical method this month. Both instances concerned oysters from Louisiana.
Gary Oreal, who manages the Rustic Inn, instructed the South Florida SunSentinel that the person who died had labored years in the past on the restaurant well-known for garlic crabs.
“Over the course of 60 years, we have served a couple billion oysters, and we never had anyone get sick like this guy did,” Oreal stated.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says Vibrio micro organism doesn’t make an oyster look, scent, or style any totally different. The company stated about 80,000 folks get vibriosis in the U.S. every year, and about 100 folks die from it.
Inspectors from the Florida Department of Health checked out the restaurant’s kitchen and examined its oyster stock the day after the person grew to become unwell, Oreal instructed the newspaper.
“We passed with flying colors and we were allowed to continue to sell oysters,” he stated, including the oysters being served presently are from Louisiana. “If there was a problem with the oyster bed we would know it because others would have gotten sick.”
The restaurant has an indication warning patrons in regards to the dangers of consuming raw shellfish.
“Oysters are top of the mountain for dangerous foods to eat,” Oreal stated. (*2*)
The Florida Department of Health says 26 folks have turn out to be contaminated with the micro organism and 6 of them later died after consuming raw shellfish, together with oysters, to date this year. In 2021, 10 folks died out of 34 folks sickened. In 2020, there have been seven deaths among the many 36 who grew to become unwell.
Last week, a person in Pensacola died after contracting the micro organism from oysters he purchased at a market, the Pensacola News Journal reported. That oyster additionally got here from Louisiana, officers stated.
Infections linked to the micro organism are widespread in oysters and raw seafood in the course of the summer time months when water temperatures are hotter, University of West Florida Professor Robert “Wes” Farr instructed the newspaper.
“Serious infection is rare, but the risk is still there,” Farr stated.
Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This materials will not be revealed, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.